War Dead with Links to Ellerker
Born on 12th June 1883 Harry was the son of George & Henrietta Freer of South Cave. His mother died shortly after he was born and his father remarried. According to the 1901 census 17 year old Harry was living with his grandmother Elizabeth Freer at 110 Market Place, South Cave. Elizabeth was partially blind and was on Parochial Relief, Harry was working as a carter on a farm. Harry is not recorded in the 1911 census but it is possible that he was living and working on a farm in Ellerker. He married Lizzie Pinder of South Cave and they had two children, Alice and George.
Harry originally joined the East Yorkshire Regiment (Service no. 38189) but later transferred to the 2/4th Battalion King’s Own Yorkshire Light Infantry (Service no. 35972) and it was whilst serving as a Private with them that he was killed in the Battle of Cambrai on 27th November 1917 when he would have been 33 years old.
Harry’s body was never recovered so he has no known grave but his name is on panel 8 of the Roll of Honour on the Cambrai Memorial at Louverval on the Bapaume to Cambrai road in Northern France. He was awarded the British War Medal & the Victory Medal.
George Barratt (incorrectly spelt Barrett on the plaque in Ellerker Church)
George Barratt was born in Welton in 1879 the son of George William and Elizabeth Barratt. By 1891 the family was living in Ellerker and his army papers give his address as “Elleker”.
He was 35 years old when he joined the 12th Service Battalion of the East Yorkshire Regiment, one of the Hull Pals battalions. He was 5’5″ tall and gave his occupation as Farm Servant, living in Ellerker when he signed on in Hull on December 29th 1914.
He transferred to the 14th Battalion on the 15th December 1915 and was promoted to Lance Corporal on 11th March 1916. He finally moved back to the 12th Battalion on the 9th April 1916 and died on the 13th November 1916.
He was awarded the British War Medal and the Victory Medal posthumously. His body was never found but he is commemorated on the Pier and Face 2c of the Thiepval memorial.
Like all other soldiers the money left in his army account (£4.10.1) was paid to his father along with a war gratuity of about £8.
William Vincent Miller
The organist at St Anne’s was born in Willerby in 1892. He was the son of Charles and Elizabeth Miller, Charles worked as an attendant at the asylum in Willerby. In 1911 William was living with his parents at Asylum Cottages in Willerby and working as a Drapery Warehouseman. William used to cycle from Willerby to Ellerker to play the organ.
In 1914 at the age of 22 he joined the 10th Battalion East Yorkshire Regiment, one of the Hull Pals battalions and was sent to France. On the night of 3rd June 1916 the Allies mounted a heavy bombardment of the German positions and a retaliatory bombardment by the Germans between midnight and 1.40am resulted in the death of William. The battalion was relieved at 6pm and left the front line withdrawing to Bus-les-Artois.
William is buried in Sucrerie Military Cemetery at Colincamps in Northern France.
Charley Barnes was born in Nottingham in 1889, the son of William and Mary Barnes. The family moved to 18 Minster Moorgate in Beverley in 1897. William was working as a foreman baker and confectioner.
In the 1911 census the family have moved to 84 Minster Moorgate and Charley is working as cycle repairer. On the 1st June 1914 he married Clarice Eugenia Hyde of Ellerker in St Anne’s Church and the couple moved to 2 Sloe Lane, Beverley.
On 20th December 1915 Charley joined the 1st Battalion of the East Yorkshire Regiment at the age of 27 (Service no. 23836). Charley now had two children, a daughter Winifred Mary and a son, Charles Robert. He was sent to France to join his battalion.
The 1st Battalion East Yorkshires were in France and in April 1917 were part of the British force attacking Arras. The East Yorkshires were attacking on a line to the south of Vimy Ridge in what was known as the First Battle of the Scarpe. The attack was deemed to be successful but there were heavy casualties and sadly Charley Barnes was killed. He is buried in Row B Grave 9 in the Cojeul British Cemetery at St Martin-Sur-Cojeul, South East of Arras.
Clarice Barnes is buried in St Anne’s churchyard along with her son and the headstone carries a mention of her husband Charley (Plot F Grave L10)
George Thomas Rudd MM
George Rudd’s great grandfather George Robert Rudd and his great grandmother Jane Rudd lived in East End Cottages, Ellerker and are buried in Plot A Grave C1 in St Anne’s churchyard. George Thomas Rudd was born in 1914, the son of Dorothy Rudd who later married Henry Moat. George served as a sidesman at St Anne’s.
George Thomas Rudd (known to his friends as Tot) joined the Royal Horse Artillery and was posted with J Battery 3rd Regiment RHA to North Africa to counter Rommel and the Afrika Corps. Rommel needed to capture the port of Tobruk to bring in supplies for his army but the port was defended by Australian troops with British support. The Germans mounted a number of attacks on Tobruk and it was during one of these that Bombardier Rudd won his Military Medal. Originally recommended for a “Mention in Dispatches” the award was upgraded to the Military Medal. The citation from Lt.Col. C P B Wilson commanding 3rd Regt RHA reads as follows:-
On 14/4/41 “B” troop “J” Battery RHA was in action near post 32 in the Tobruk defences. At about 0700 hours the troop was attacked and surrounded by about 30 enemy tanks and came under very heavy fire from machine guns and tanks.
Bombardier Rudd who was a spare NCO and was at the entrance to Coy HQ dugout saw a wounded gunner, who was the only survivor of his gun, crawling across the open ground which was swept by enemy fire. He immediately left the dugout, ran across to the wounded gunner and brought him under cover. By his prompt and gallant action Bombardier Rudd set a fine example and saved his comrade’s life.
On the 30th April 1941 the Germans mounted a very heavy attack supported by an artillery barrage and Bombardier Rudd was killed. His body was never found but he is commemorated on the Alamein Memorial which is just outside the village of Alamein about 130 km west of Alexandria.
George Rudd’s medals were sold in 2014 and the proceeds kindly donated to St Anne’s Church.